Bioenergy and renewable fuels projects for the revamping of the SET Plan
Tuesday 6 June 2023 | 11:30-18:00 CEST
Chaired by ETIP Bioenergy
- Setting the context: revamping of the SET Plan and status of policy
Presenter: Franco Cotana, IWG8
- A new Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda for Bioenergy and Renewable Fuels
Presenter: Patrik Klintbom, Chair of ETIP Bioenergy
- Messages from DG RTD
Presenter: Maria Georgiadou, DG RTD
Mobilizing resources and enabling policies for the scale up and deployment of emerging technologies
Session led by SET4BIO project
- Results from SET4BIO project and key policy recommendations
Presenter: Elina Mäki, VTT
- Funding and financing opportunities for bioenergy and renewable fuels
Presenters: Judit Sandquist, SINTEF; Paola Mazzucchelli, CIRCE
12.45 – 13.45
Thematic sessions: emerging technologies and their contribution to SET Plan Action 8
Electrochemical conversions from biobased compounds
Hosted by EBIO H2020 Project, whose research objective is to use electrosynthesis to convert two low-valued and readily available bioliquids – fast pyrolysis and black liquor – into green fuels and biochemicals.
Projects included in this section:
- EBIO – Biofuels Through Electrochemical Transformation Of Intermediate Bio-Liquids.
- Liberate – Design of an electrochemical plant to demonstrate the commercial opportunities of converting low-cost lignin feedstock in high value biosustainable chemicals.
Syngas technologies, value chains, and market potential
In this section hosted by the FlexSNG H2020 Project we will hear about the different gasification technologies currently being researched in the following projects. The presentations will highlight the differences between value chains, technologies, and market potentials for each project.
Introduction to the session by FlexSNG
Presenter: Ilkka Hiltunen, VTT (session chair)
Demonstrating and Connecting Production Innovations in the Biomethane universe – project overview
Presenter: Claudio Carbone, ENEA
Biofuels production from Syngas Fermentation for Aviation and maritime use – presenting results and updates from the project
Presenter: Marianna Franchino, Envipark
Flexible Production of Synthetic Natural Gas and Biochar via Gasification of Biomass and Waste Feedstocks, and its market potential
Presenter: Sanna Tuomi / Minna Kurkela, VTT & Stephan Seidelt, EIFER
Carbon Neutral LNG
Carbon Neutral electricity enhanced Synthesis of Liquefied Natural Gas from biomass – an overview of this new research project
Presented by Juergen Karl, FAU
Presenter: Ilkka Hiltunen, VTT
Clean advanced biofuels production from contaminated land
These three Horizon 2020 projects; GOLD, CERESiS, Phy2Climate are aiming to bridge the gap between remediation of contaminated sites and the production of clean energy. All three projects will use phytoremediation techniques, which uses plants to remove contaminants from soil, and in turn the cultivated energy crops will be used as biomass feedstock for clean advanced biofuels.
In this session we will hear about the different conversion technologies that are being trialled by the three projects:
- GOLD – Growing energy crops on contaminated land for biofuels and soil remediation.
- CERESiS – Contaminated land Remediation through Energy crops for Soil improvement to liquid biofuel Strategies.
- Phy2Climate – Building the bridge between the phytoremediation of contaminated sites with the production of clean drop-in biofuels.
Panel discussion: Common ground and contribution of EU projects to the revamping of the SET Plan Action 8
Chairperson: Dina Bacovsky, BEST.
Invited Panelists: project partners from BTG, Twente University, VTT, CRES, ITS + others TBD.
THIS EVENT IS FREE AND OPEN TO ALL
Free access with Visitor Pass
This event is organized in collaboration with
Pooling research and innovation initiatives, strategic agenda and opportunities for safe, efficient and cost competitive technologies towards 2030 and beyond
Launched in 2007, the SET Plan has become the reference framework for addressing clean energy research and innovation developments in Europe. Against the rapid changes in the policy framework of the last few years a revamp of the SET Plan is under preparation and the renewed strategy will be shaped to enhance synergies both at national and international level.
Bioenergy and renewable fuels can provide an important contribution to achieve the Green Deal targets, and a number of ongoing Horizon 2020 and Horizon Europe projects already display a potential for synergistic initiatives in line with the targets of implementation of SET Plan Action 8.
Co-organized by the European Technology and Innovation Platform for Bioenergy (ETIP Bioenergy) and EU project (SET4BIO, EBIO, ABC Salt, HIGFLY, FlexSNG, BiosferA, CarbonneutralLNG, GOLD, CERESiS, PHY2CLIMATE), this event will:
- Present the status of of the revamping of the SET Plan with relation to Action 8 Renewable Fuels and Bioenergy
- Announce the newly released updated Strategic Research and Innovation Agenda (SRIA) of ETIP Bioenergy
- Present the latest R&I outcomes and results emerging from a series of ongoing Horizon projects
- Discuss and identify common ground and opportunities for synergies and contribution of those projects and their underlying technologies to the objectives of the SET Plan Action 8 (increase efficiency, reduce costs and reduce emissions of bioenergy and renewable fuels)
This event is free and open to all
Free access with Visitor Pass
Please note that this Programme may be subject to alteration and the Organisers reserve the right to do so without giving prior notice.