The Bio-based Industries Joint Undertaking (BBI JU) is a €3.7 billion public-private partnership between the EU and the industry, representing the largest industrial and economic cooperation endeavor ever undertaken in Europe in this field. Through its projects, BBI JU promotes innovation, job creation and reindustrialization of rural areas in Europe. By developing collaborative business models and convincing brand owners to engage in creating new markets and products from renewable resources, BBI JU has a positive impact not only on the economy and scientific advancements, but also on the environment at both regional and international level.
The panel discussion and consecutive roundtable and Q&A session will exchange views on the immense potential the bio-based sector holds for Europe in terms of social, environmental and economic benefits, while allowing for the development of scientific advancements that will eventually accelerate the transition to a full-fledge circular economy. Furthermore, it will show how a competitive bio-based sector can set Europe and its innovation hubs at the forefront of green technology, innovation and markets. BBI JU projects representatives will elaborate on the catalyzing effect of BBI JU in structuring the bio-based value-chains through the demonstration of tangible cases.
The session will focus particularly in examining the following topics:
- what is the current state-of-play and potential of the bio-based sector;
- what role can bio-based industries play in paving the way towards a genuine bioeconomy and circular economy;
- how BBI JU is creating a scientific hub of the bioeconomy sector in Europe;
- making the most of natures power how BBI JU projects are maximizing the utilization of Europes organic biomass;
- taking innovation out of the labs and bringing it to the markets.
1. 5 Presentations
2. Round table discussion